The "Expert" mode is an automatic or intelligent mode. The tracker via your phone's Bluetooth detects you. Unlike the 500, which would go to sleep if the owner was present, the 520 uses the phone as a gateway, and you have points on the map throughout the journey, one point every 5 minutes. The tracker saves a lot of battery, so consumption is very low. In case of bike theft with the phone, the points are transmitted. In case of bike theft during a ride (bike jacking), the tracker switches to standard mode within a maximum of 5 minutes; everything is managed automatically.
The "Theft" mode is an intense tracking mode, with one point per minute reserved for theft situations. If you are in expert mode, meaning you are riding with your phone, the theft mode is not a priority, and you will have one point every 5 minutes. If you want to test the theft mode but have your phone, turn off Bluetooth.
Other "Optimizations" in the latest update:
- Battery level update during charging.
- Reduction in the number of GPS points at the beginning of the journey.
- Increased satellite search to improve GPS accuracy.
- Sleep mode when there is no GSM network during a long journey.
- Low battery alert via notification in addition to email.
- And more.
- Theft mode from November 1st to November 3rd, 2023.
- Expert mode Bluetooth Android on November 6th, 2023.
- Expert mode Bluetooth iOS on November 6th-8th, 2023.
Step 1 : Update the HOOT Apps HOOT GPS TRACKER (from November 1st):
- The tracker doesn't have good reception where it's charging (garage, basement, etc.).
- Try a different charger; it might not be charging, check if you receved charging notification.
- Try again tomorrow ;-)
- Download our update software to be executed on a Windows computer using a USB C cable:
- If nothing works, you can contact us through a ticket, and we will look into it.
If you've reached this point, congratulations! Your tracker is updated with various optimizations, and you can try out the intense mode, but remember that it's reserved for theft situations because it consumes more battery. Don't forget to turn it off.
Expert Mode Bluetooth Android on November 6, 2023.
Expert Mode Bluetooth iOS on November 6-8, 2023.
With the previous step, you've updated your tracker for expert mode, which is a good thing.
- Download the HOOT Smart Connect application from PlayStore or AppStore.
- Launch it to install.
- When asked about battery optimization, "Allow" the application to run in the background. Don't worry about your phone's battery; the HOOT Smart Connect application is tiny compared to social media apps and consumes very little.
After a few points in expert mode, you will see the tracker mode change to "Expert."
If you ride with your phone and receive motion notifications:
- In may happen sometimes, as Bluetooth for new phone is tricky, if only few times don't worry, unfortunately we can't do better, for now.
- Check if Bluetooth is enabled.
- Restart the HOOT Connect application.
- Try again tomorrow.
- Check in your phone's battery settings to ensure that HOOT Smart Connect is not blocked. Or, reinstall the application.
- Contact us.
There's no reason for this service to stop, but from time to time, you can restart the HOOT Connect application to check.
The next step in November is the ALARM!